Subject: Doubts on WLAN and Wireless Networking
To: netbsd <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: =?iso-8859-1?q?Shyam=20Kumar=20Mangayil?= <linuxhelpin@yahoo.co.uk>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 05/18/2002 08:10:27
--0-370280968-1021705827=:35852

I have a few doubts WLAN cards and Wireless Networking :

1. differences between ad-hoc and infrastructure mode
2. "If you're in ad-hoc mode, the default (3) is correct. If you have an access point, set your port type to 1. I'm using an Apple Airport access point, so I tell the card to search for it with:

wicontrol -p 1"  :

 What is this port ? and what is access point ?

3.  "Then you have a network name. You can only network with hosts with the same network name, so this needs to be correct. This helps keep neighbors off your LAN, and vice versa. Since Lucent cards attach to the first network they find, such wrong connections can be a perfectly innocent error instead of a blatant attempt to steal your bandwidth. You set the network name as such:

wicontrol -n YourNameHere"

What is meant by network name ?

4. Most of these  setup - guidelines say that the fourth step is you can setup
an IP address.How , suppose , I am using a WaveLAN card ?
      wicontrol -something        , I guess .

5.  I am just reading howto setup a WLAN card , so this question might be silly , infact very foolish : What really is the medium in WLAN as cable is to a LAN ?
Science has taught us not believe what you have not seen , and as yet,
I have not physically seen a WLAN , just read , so that's why I wish to ask this
foolish question.
Because      6.    won't questions of EMI arise in a WLAN ?

7. Can you give me some sites from where I can see photos of WLAN cards and get into their details ?
8. How much would a WLAN card cost (I am looking for free hardware so that I may get two.)
9. If I setup a dual-homed host , is that enough for me to learn  Wireless Networking ? I can not afford two machines per se , but I am thinking in terms of "at least a dual-homed host" .

Thanks,

Shyam

----------------------------(*)-X-(*)----------------------------

                    Knowledge is Power

Get personalised at My Yahoo!.
--0-370280968-1021705827=:35852

<P>I have a few doubts WLAN cards and Wireless Networking :</P>
<P><BR>&nbsp;<BR>1. differences between ad-hoc and infrastructure mode<BR>2. "If you're in ad-hoc mode, the default (3) is correct. If you have an access point, set your port type to 1. I'm using an Apple Airport access point, so I tell the card to search for it with:</P>
<P>wicontrol -p 1"&nbsp; :</P>
<P>&nbsp;What is this port ? and what is access point ?</P>
<P><BR>3.&nbsp; "Then you have a network name. You can only network with hosts with the same network name, so this needs to be correct. This helps keep neighbors off your LAN, and vice versa. Since Lucent cards attach to the first network they find, such wrong connections can be a perfectly innocent error instead of a blatant attempt to steal your bandwidth. You set the network name as such:</P>
<P>wicontrol -n YourNameHere"</P>
<P>What is meant by network name ?</P>
<P><BR>4. Most of these&nbsp; setup - guidelines say that the fourth step is you can setup<BR>an IP address.How , suppose , I am using a WaveLAN card ?<BR>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; wicontrol -something&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; , I guess .</P>
<P><BR>5.&nbsp; I am just reading howto setup a WLAN card , so this question might be silly , infact very foolish : What really is the medium in WLAN as cable is to a LAN ?<BR>Science has taught us not believe what you have not seen , and as yet,<BR>I have not physically seen a WLAN , just read , so that's why I wish to ask this<BR>foolish question.<BR>Because&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; 6.&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; won't questions of EMI arise in a WLAN ?</P>
<P>7. Can you give me some sites from where I can see photos of WLAN cards and get into their details ?<BR>8. How much would a WLAN card cost (I am looking for free hardware so that I may get two.)<BR>9. If I setup a dual-homed host , is that enough for me to learn&nbsp; Wireless Networking ? I can not afford two machines per se , but I am thinking in terms of "at least a dual-homed host" .</P>
<P>Thanks,</P>
<P>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;Knowledge is Power</P>
Get personalised at <a
href="http://uk.rd.yahoo.com/mail_uk/my?http://uk.my.yahoo.com" target="_blank">My Yahoo!</a>.
--0-370280968-1021705827=:35852--