Subject: Re: OT: apple's marketing is just insolent
To: None <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: Charles Shannon Hendrix <shannon@widomaker.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 05/17/2002 23:25:43
On Thu, May 16, 2002 at 09:53:44PM +0200, Wojciech Puchar wrote:
> see http://3miasto.net/~wojtek/apple.jpg
>
> (700kB, but i made it huge as all details are easy to see. including
> memory sizes of processes....)
>
> i just can't find good description of doing such things.

Good description of doing what things?

> just wait and we will have yet another army of "unix experts".
>
> sorry for OT.

OT isn't the problem, not knowing why you posted is... :)

If you are talking about the process sizes, keep in mind that NetBSD
will do the same thing if running applications like that. Also, a lot of
that might be shared, and very likely is. Finally, MacOS graphics keeps
complete image maps of all windows. That... you can debate on since
there are obvious trade-offs involved.

I don't see any end to memory consumption in the short term, because the
languages and libraries being used are simply huge, and Apple is hardly
alone in that.  Fire up NetBSD with applications like the Mac runs,
and it won't be any different.

--
UNIX/Perl/C/Pizza__________________________________shannon@widomaker.com