Subject: Re: How tos for a Security System on Unix + How tos for Sensors
To: J. Buck Caldwell <buckaroo@liveround.com>
From: Gavan Fantom <gavan@coolfactor.org>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 05/16/2002 09:16:10
On Wed, 15 May 2002, J. Buck Caldwell wrote:

> You've misunderstood. What the gentleman is asking is how to control external
> security measures, such as electronic locks, keypads, motion sensors, perhaps
> X10 devices, and such, from a NetBSD machine. Am I correct, Shyam?

X10 can hardly be considered secure, but it is a fairly nice way to
connect certain devices. If you don't mind using an unreliable protocol.
(Unreliable in the same way that UDP is unreliable - there's no ack, there
are no retries)

We have heyu and xtend in pkgsrc.

I've recently been playing with IR remote controls - while strictly
speaking not security-related, it's still a convenience peripheral.
libirman comes with some test programs which can trivially be hacked into
a useful component of a pipeline, with a simple shell script to launch
commands.

As for security devices, authentication etc... I've been eyening up
ibuttons recently.. I don't know if there's any software around for NetBSD
to talk to them, but I don't imagine they're particularly difficult to
talk to.

--
Gillette - the best a man can forget