Subject: Re: Huge (> 1TB) disk
To: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.lip6.fr>
From: None <yutaka@mailhost.net>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 05/16/2002 01:11:33
Manuel,

Thank you for your mail.

At Wed, 15 May 2002 10:39:44 +0200,
Manuel Bouyer wrote:

> However, as already said, you can't have a filesystem larger than 1T,
> so you have to make your partition a bit smaller to make it work.

Well, I thought I could make it if I did 'newfs -f 1024' not the
default size of 512k.

My understanding was there are two alternate way to have 2TB BSD
pertition.

1. to set 1024byte / sector while writing disklabel.
This is OK for filesystem itself but OS supports 512byte/sector

2. to set -f 1024 when making filesystem (newfs)
This shold be OK but disklabel command does not understand such large
number.

> > And it is sorry to say but I will tring on other OS for now. Not just
> > because of this issue but I found Ultra 160 SCSI is not functioning as
> > 160MB/s.
>
> What controller do you have ?

It is onboard AIC7899. I thought NetBSD 1.5.2 does not support Ultra
160 SCSI because the GENERIC kernel applied ahc driver and it seems to
be "Adaptec [23]94x, aic78x0 SCSI" which is not Ultra 160 model.

--
Yutaka KAWASE <yutaka@mailhost.net>