Subject: Re: Huge (> 1TB) disk
To: None <yutaka@mailhost.net>
From: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.lip6.fr>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 05/15/2002 18:27:30
On Thu, May 16, 2002 at 01:11:33AM +0900, yutaka@mailhost.net wrote:

> Manuel,
>
> Thank you for your mail.
>
> At Wed, 15 May 2002 10:39:44 +0200,
> Manuel Bouyer wrote:
>
> > However, as already said, you can't have a filesystem larger than 1T,
> > so you have to make your partition a bit smaller to make it work.
>
> Well, I thought I could make it if I did 'newfs -f 1024' not the
> default size of 512k.
>
> My understanding was there are two alternate way to have 2TB BSD
> pertition.
>
> 1. to set 1024byte / sector while writing disklabel.
> This is OK for filesystem itself but OS supports 512byte/sector
>
> 2. to set -f 1024 when making filesystem (newfs)
> This shold be OK but disklabel command does not understand such large
> number.

I think -f 1024 is already the default. This sets the fragment size, not
the sector size. The problem (if I understood it properly) is that
low-level filesystem operations use signed integers to represent sizes in
sector size unit.

> > > And it is sorry to say but I will tring on other OS for now. Not just
> > > because of this issue but I found Ultra 160 SCSI is not functioning as
> > > 160MB/s.
> >
> > What controller do you have ?
>
> It is onboard AIC7899. I thought NetBSD 1.5.2 does not support Ultra
> 160 SCSI because the GENERIC kernel applied ahc driver and it seems to
> be "Adaptec [23]94x, aic78x0 SCSI" which is not Ultra 160 model.

Yes, it supports this adapter, but only in Ultra/80 mode.
The problem is that no NetBSD developer has been able to get programming docs
from Adaptec yet (the docs are not publics, as opposed to e.g. lsi logic)
which make it hard even to port drivers from other OSes.