Subject: Re: Bug found: help to isolate it
To: Lista de NetBSD Users <list10@sepc.edu.mx>
From: Giles Lean <giles@nemeton.com.au>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 05/15/2002 11:46:13
> In august 2001, Jim Breton reported the same problem (1.5.1)
> see the following link
>
> http://mail-index.netbsd.org/netbsd-users/2001/08/04/0000.html

I started looking at this, but got distracted multiple times.

What I found from core files that Jim provided to me was that poll(2)
was returning 1 to say that there is an event on one of the file
descriptors, but the loop that checks the poll() return wasn't seeing
the event.  The event turned out to be POLLNVAL and the code doesn't
check for POLLNVAL anywhere which is a definite bug.

What I did not complete doing was:

a) figuring out why one of the file descriptors was not valid anymore
b) deciding what to do to fix the code

Point (c) would be write the fix, but for sundry reasons it shouldn't
be me doing coding a NetBSD syslogd fix.  Is there a volunteer in the
audience? :-)

Regards,

Giles