Subject: Re: Huge (> 1TB) disk
To: None <yutaka@mailhost.net>
From: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.lip6.fr>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 05/14/2002 14:07:09
On Tue, May 14, 2002 at 06:33:39AM +0900, yutaka@mailhost.net wrote:

> Thanks for your mail, Manuel.
>
> I have not found the way to 'install by hand' but if it's a bug in the
> installer, i am afraid the bug comes from disklabel commmand.
>
> When I tried to install yesterday, i plugged a small SCSI disk to the
> box and installed the system to the small disk. Then i tried to make
> disklabel to the huge one and the 'total sectors: ' was negative
> value...

OK, I looked at disklabel and there's int vs unsigned int problems in almost
all printf and scanf, or atoi.
Can you try the disklabel binary at
ftp://antioche.lip6.fr/pub/bouyer/tmp/disklabel.gz
These problems should be fixed.
The installer is different code, I'll have to look at this one too.

fdisk may have the same problem but it's less an issue, as you can define a
smaller partition here (I'm not sure why one would want a boot partition
larger than 1TB :), and this sign problem may be present in more than fdisk
(BIOS, boot loader, etc ...).