Subject: Re: Huge (> 1TB) disk
To: None <yutaka@mailhost.net>
From: Luke Mewburn <lukem@wasabisystems.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 05/14/2002 09:28:09
On Tue, May 14, 2002 at 05:59:49AM +0900, yutaka@mailhost.net wrote:

  | Hi all,
  |
  | I am trying to install NetBSD-1.5.2 to an i386 box.
  | It has a huge 1144GB SCSI disk. Actually it is an external RAID.
  |
  | I read http://www.netbsd.org/Misc/features.html#large-filesystems and
  | learned it should be possible, if I specify the 'fragment size' to be
  | 1024byte.

Actually, I don't think that this will help, at least for ffs file systems.
You need to crank the sector size to 1024 bytes from 512 bytes to have an
ffs file system larger than 1 TB (1024 GB), because ffs has a signed 32 bit
quantity for disk block addresses, and 2^(31+9) == 1 TB.

You'll need to partition that disk, because currently, there's no
support to have a sector size != 512 bytes :-|

Luke.