Subject: Re: Huge (> 1TB) disk
To: None <rmk@rmkhome.com>
From: Jason R Thorpe <thorpej@wasabisystems.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 05/13/2002 21:16:13
On Mon, May 13, 2002 at 10:00:36PM -0600, Rick Kelly wrote:

 > FreeBSD has FFS and UFS. UFS is FFS with ACL support. I'm still hoping
 > that NetBSD will keep the two filesystems separate. ACL is a good thing
 > if you need it, but a waste of space if you don't. And if you look at
 > Solaris man pages, the ACL support is very delicate when it comes to
 > sysadmins mistakenly doing things with chmod.

Uh.  You're confused :-)

UFS is the Unix file system, defining the inode, directory, etc.
formats.  FFS, the fast file system, is a back-end for UFS providing
the block allocation stuff, etc.

In now-ancient BSD releases, it was all just called "UFS", but in
4.4BSD, they split things up a bit. This allows LFS, which is basically
UFS with different block allocaiton policies, etc. to share a bunch
of the same code.