Subject: Re: Huge (> 1TB) disk
To: Greg 'groggy' Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
From: Rick Kelly <rmk@toad.rmkhome.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 05/13/2002 22:00:36
Greg 'groggy' Lehey said:

>FWIW, Kirk McKusick is currently working on UFS2, which will have 64
>bit pointers.  Note that there's more than just a simple change to get
>this to work: for one thing, it means that the on-disk data structures
>are incompatible with UFS.

>The FreeBSD project is doing a complete overhaul of UFS, in
>cooperation with Kirk.  I'm not sure whether that stuff has been
>removed yet, but if not, I'm sure it's on the list.

FreeBSD has FFS and UFS. UFS is FFS with ACL support. I'm still hoping
that NetBSD will keep the two filesystems separate. ACL is a good thing
if you need it, but a waste of space if you don't. And if you look at
Solaris man pages, the ACL support is very delicate when it comes to
sysadmins mistakenly doing things with chmod.

Also, Sun seems to allocate 1024 ACL entries per file. Check out
/usr/include/sys/fs on a Solaris box.

--
Rick Kelly  rmk@rmkhome.com  www.rmkhome.com