Subject: Re: /dev/one
To: None <muc-lists-netbsd-users@moderators.muc.de>
From: Michael Core <520079546242-0001@t-online.de>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 05/10/2002 17:33:33
Julio Merino wrote:

> Dos and Win _have_ a /dev dir, though it is "virtual" and it doesn't
> appere in dir's. Though, IIRC, you can do cd \dev. In fact, con, lpt1,

You don't RC. I've just tried it with bochs running DOS 6.22. You can't cd
to \dev nor dev. DOS doesn't use the "prefix" \dev. You can access devices
like con,nul,lpt1,com1 from any directory like a "normal" file, say "type
con". The "funny" thing is that you can use any existing path as a prefix
"type a:\con" or "type c:\dos\con" is the same as "type con".

> com1, com2, etc, devices are included in that "directory"... but dos is
> that weird that you can access them without specifying \dev.

Yes, you have to which names are reserved.

> BTW, the \dev directory caused problems in earlier versions of dos and
> win, which can be attacked from irc... (don't you ever see those stupid
> ctcp's that boring people send?)..

AFAIK that's a problem in the "path parser" in Win 9x. I don't think DOS
(at least pre 7.0) has a problem with c:\con\con

> (correct me if I'm wrong)

BTDT