Subject: Re: /dev/one
To: None <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: Julio Merino <jmmv@hispabsd.org>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 05/10/2002 16:40:56
--MGYHOYXEY6WxJCY8

On Fri, May 10, 2002 at 10:21:38AM -0500, Todd Gruhns Acct wrote:
> >> Where X is the drive number. NORTON utilities, when wiping has options=
 such as
> >> secure wipe, and govt wipe, and military wipe. Norton wipes by writing=
 a string of
> >> 0, then a string of 1, then a string of 0, repeating the process diffe=
rent
> >> numbers of times for different levels of security.
> >>=20
> >> OK, so why have we NOT GOT a /dev/one so we can do the same thing?
>=20
> >Ok, Windows nor DOS doesn't have /dev/one either, so how are the norton
> >utilities doing this? Must be magic...
>=20
>=20
> >Martin
>=20
>=20
> Neither DOS or Win[mumble] have a /dev dir for that matter (how 'bout Win=
 NT?).

Dos and Win _have_ a /dev dir, though it is "virtual" and it doesn't appere
in dir's. Though, IIRC, you can do cd \dev. In fact, con, lpt1, com1, com2,
etc, devices are included in that "directory"... but dos is that weird that
you can access them without specifying \dev.

BTW, the \dev directory caused problems in earlier versions of dos and win,
which can be attacked from irc... (don't you ever see those stupid ctcp's
that boring people send?)..

(correct me if I'm wrong)

> Since I recall doing this with Norton 6.0 on DOS, I would think it was=20
> hardcoded in the wipedisk routine somehow...

Sure.

HTH

--=20
Of course it runs NetBSD - http://www.netbsd.org