Subject: Re: Sendmail and IPv6 was Re: DNS issues with Mozilla
To: None <ipthomas@mac.com, netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: Andrew Basterfield <list@lostgeneration.freeserve.co.uk>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 05/09/2002 00:44:50
--=.PpOtr37V(6EwY1

On Wed, 8 May 2002 19:07:27 -0400
ipthomas@mac.com wrote:

> On Wednesday, May 8, 2002, at 02:00 PM, Noah L. Meyerhans wrote:

> Seeing as how the culprit is IPv6, when I disable it in the kernel
> and recompile, how do I get sendmail to behave and not produce an error
> message on startup?  I have seen mention of sendmail's problems with
> IPv6 by searching on Google, but I didn't see a fix for them.  The error
>
> is
>
> opendaemon socket : daemon MTA6 : can't create server SMTP socket
>
> 	Any suggestions?  The culprit is Mozilla on NetBSD, as the web
> browser links doesn't suffer from these problems.  I'll check out the
> bug report listed above and send another one to the Mozilla developers.

If you don't have Mozilla 0.99 then you can upgrade and re-enable IPv6 in
your kernel (Mozilla gets much faster and stable as it develops),
otherwise copy and edit /usr/share/sendmail/cf/netbsd-proto.mc and remove
the lines at the bottom relating to IPv6. Build a new sendmail.cf and
you're on your way. According to the comments in netbsd-proto.mc IPv6 is
optional - does sendmail actually still work even though it can't bind to
an IPv6 address?

--Andrew

--
sparc sun4c stuff: