Subject: Re: Sendmail and IPv6 was Re: DNS issues with Mozilla
To: None <ipthomas@mac.com>
From: Frederick Bruckman <fredb@immanent.net>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 05/08/2002 18:32:07
On Wed, 8 May 2002 ipthomas@mac.com wrote:

> > On Wed, May 08, 2002 at 03:02:54PM +0100, Andrew Basterfield wrote:
> >
> >> Try disabling IPv6 on the NetBSD machine (or better still get a free
> >> IPv6 tunnel with freenet6.net, but remember the IPv6 firewall!)

> 	Seeing as how the culprit is IPv6, when I disable it in the kernel
> and recompile, how do I get sendmail to behave and not produce an error
> message on startup?  I have seen mention of sendmail's problems with
> IPv6 by searching on Google, but I didn't see a fix for them.  The error
> is
>
> opendaemon socket : daemon MTA6 : can't create server SMTP socket

It's seems to be only a warning, but if it bothers you, just build a
new sendmail.conf from an "mc" file without this line:

  DAEMON_OPTIONS(`Family=inet6, address=::, Name=MTA6, Modifiers=0')dnl

See "/usr/share/sendmail/README" (for descriptions of the options),
and "/usr/share/sendmail/cf/netbsd-proto.mc" (which is used to
generate the NetBSD installed "/etc/mail/sendmail.conf").

Frederick