Subject: Re: DNS issues with Mozilla
To: Matthias Scheler <tron@zhadum.de>
From: Andrew Basterfield <list@lostgeneration.freeserve.co.uk>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 05/08/2002 15:02:54
--=.e9Rr)sNj5mryRu

On Wed, 8 May 2002 13:34:30 +0000 (UTC)
tron@zhadum.de (Matthias Scheler) wrote:

> In article <AD584898-6241-11D6-8EC6-0003934C525E@mac.com>,
> 	ipthomas@mac.com writes:
> > 	I just installed Mozilla rc1 and I'm having serious DNS issues.  I
> >
> > have my NetBSD box as a the gateway for my OS X machine that sits
> > behind it.  Mozilla on the NetBSD box is having difficulty resolving
> > addresses, while the OS X Mozilla is lightning fast.
>
> Mozilla for NetBSD supports IPv6. Maybe it is trying to use IPv6 which
> doesn't work and only falls back to IPv4 after a timeout. What site
> are you trying to look at?

In my experience Mozilla doesn't timeout and fall back to IPv4. If a site
has an AAAA record, and Mozilla is running on a machine with an IPv6
capable kernel it will assume you have an IPv6 link to the 'net. Try
disabling IPv6 on the NetBSD machine (or better still get a free IPv6
tunnel with freenet6.net, but remember the IPv6 firewall!)

--Andrew

--
sparc sun4c stuff:
	http://www.lostgeneration.freeserve.co.uk/sparc