Subject: Re: DNS issues with Mozilla
To: None <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: None <ipthomas@mac.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 05/08/2002 11:08:05
On Wednesday, May 8, 2002, at 09:34 AM, Matthias Scheler wrote:

> In article <AD584898-6241-11D6-8EC6-0003934C525E@mac.com>,
> 	ipthomas@mac.com writes:
>> 	I just installed Mozilla rc1 and I'm having serious DNS issues.  I
>> have my NetBSD box as a the gateway for my OS X machine that sits
>> behind
>> it.  Mozilla on the NetBSD box is having difficulty resolving
>> addresses,
>> while the OS X Mozilla is lightning fast.
>
> Mozilla for NetBSD supports IPv6. Maybe it is trying to use IPv6 which
> doesn't work and only falls back to IPv4 after a timeout. What site
> are you trying to look at?

	I did some minor testing and the problem seems to occur after
looking up five to six sites in a row.  The sites themselves don't
matter.  An example, I'll go to www.netbsd.org, then www.apple.com, and
then 3 or four more different sites.  By the fifth or sixth site, the
DNS lookup takes about 30 seconds to a minute.  It is almost like it is
timing out using some option, and then finally doing the resolution.
This could quite possibly have something to do with IPv6.  I noticed
some strange things happening when I did a couple package adds through
ftp.netbsd.org.
	At any rate, is there something I can do to check and see what the
problem is?  I ran ipfstat -t during the testing to see if my ruleset
was the problem, but nothing stood out.  Should I maybe disable IPv6
support in the kernel?  If I do this, sendmail complains.  I just
finished finals week so I have some time to do testing of all sorts. : )

Ian

Of Course It Runs NetBSD
www.netbsd.org