Subject: Re: automatically having -rwxrwxr-- permissions on file upload or creation
To: Shyam Kumar Mangayil <linuxhelpin@yahoo.co.uk>
From: Axel Scheepers <axel@axel.truedestiny.net>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 05/05/2002 15:24:28
Hi Shyam,

On Sun, May 05, 2002 at 09:41:29AM +0100, Shyam Kumar Mangayil wrote:
> To: netbsd <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
>

> How can I automatically have -rwxrwxr-- permissions on file upload or creation ?
>
> I tried all values for umask , but because default file permissions are 666
>
> umask would not help.
>
> Regards,
>
> Shyam

What program do you use to transfer files? When you use samba you can specify
excatly what you want in smb.conf using the creation mask option:
[share]
  comment = test share
  path = /tmp
  browseable = yes
  create mask = 0770
  directory mask = 0770

Whenever you use unix standard tools like ftp/ssh you'll have to stick to
umask AFAIK; a umask value of 7 would come closest to this; files will
be -rw-rw--- and directories drwxrwx---

You can still execute your exe files from a windows share, if you're worried
about that.

> ----------------------------(*)-X-(*)----------------------------
>
>                     Knowledge is Power

> Get personalised at My Yahoo!.

Gr,
--
Axel Scheepers
UNIX System Administrator

email: axel@axel.truedestiny.net
       a.scheepers@iae.nl
http://axel.truedestiny.net/~axel
Help me, I'm a prisoner in a Fortune cookie file!