Subject: Re: audio card
To: None <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: Julio Merino <jmmv@hispabsd.org>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 05/03/2002 23:39:09
--Yylu36WmvOXNoKYn

Well, you have two sound-cards... you can disable one of them from the
kernel, so you can use /dev/audio by default, not 1.

Then, about the sound... mixer volumes are generally *VERY* low. You will
have to turn them up. Use 'mixerctl' from command-line or install aumix
from pkgsrc.

Note that playing cd's does not require pc "intervention". Audio is played
directly from the cd to the soundcard by that "audio wire" that you connect.
The computer does not do any kind of process from that signal, apart from
its volume.

HTH

On Fri, May 03, 2002 at 10:54:19PM +0200, c0redump@skreel.org wrote:
> hi folks,
>=20
> i have a weird problem with my laptop : all my hardware is well detected =
(including my audio card). Here is what dmesg says :
>=20
> sb0 at isa0 port 0x220-0x237 irq 5 drq 1: dsp v3.01
> audio0 at sb0: half duplex, mmap, independent
> midi0 at sb0: SB MIDI UART
> opl0 at sb0: model OPL3
> midi1 at opl0: SB Yamaha OPL3
>=20
> ok, let's say dmesg is right. but the kernel finds another card ->
>=20
> wss0 at isa0 port 0x530-0x537 irq 10 drq 0 drq2 1: CS4231 or AD1845
> audio1 at wss0: full duplex, mmap
>=20
> i never really looked at what the kernel found before, cause the only thi=
ng i ever did was playing audio cds (and that always worked well). But not =
so long ago i tried a mp3 (with mpg123, and i played the file with with no =
option, so it used /dev/audio0 i think). There was simply no sound, but mpg=
123 was playing. I decided to try again with /dev/audio1
>=20
> mpg123 -a /dev/audio1 file.mp3
>=20
> there is sound ;)
> but that's crunchy, inaudible, super-weird sound.
>=20
> i tried both on 1.5.2 and on current.
>=20
> if someone has the same probe, or can simply help me, he is god-like ;)
> thx all.
>=20
>=20
> --=20
> Run NetBSD --- www.NetBSD.org
>=20
> Ooops ! i think i just sended my cat to /dev/null :-)
> 								- me (hum..)

--=20
Of course it runs NetBSD - http://www.netbsd.org
HispaBSD member - http://www.hispabsd.org