Subject: Re: Fstab
To: None <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: Andrew Basterfield <list@lostgeneration.freeserve.co.uk>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 04/28/2002 22:58:17
On Sun, 28 Apr 2002 22:10:10 +0000
Richard Ibbotson <richard@sheflug.co.uk> wrote:

> Hi
>
> > > /dev/fd0a /mnt/floppy msdos rw,auto 0 0
> >
> >                                  ^^ noauto, else you can wonder
> >                                  why netbsd cyclically "hangs" for
> >                                 for a moment :)
>

> Thanks for all the advice.   Done the above and then I tried 'mount
> /mnt/floppy' and it said "mount: /mnt/floppy: unknown special file or
> file system".   This is with a newly msdos formatted floppy in the
> drive.   Also tried 'mount /floppy'  after doing 'mkdir /floppy'  and
> it says ....  "mount_msdos: /dev/fd0a on /floppy: Block device
> required.  Also tried it with ext2.
>
> As a final check I took the lid off the computer to make sure the
> data cables and power leads were still attached.  They look fine.

Hi Richard

'mount -t msdos /dev/fd0a /mnt' works for me under OpenBSD/intel and
NetBSD/sparc so it should work for you. Try 'cat /var/run/dmesg.boot |
grep fd0' to see if the kernel has found your floppy disk, and make sure
you have the fd0 entries in /dev

get back to me if it doesn't work

--Andrew

--
sparc sun4c stuff : http://www.lostgeneration.freeserve.co.uk/sparc
personal email    : bob at lostgeneration dot freeserve dot co dot uk