Subject: Re: Terse device names
To: Iggy Drougge" , "Richard Rauch <rauch@rice.edu>
From: Emiel Kollof <coolvibe@hackerheaven.org>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 04/28/2002 07:37:13
Op zondag 28 april 2002 00:18, schreef Iggy Drougge:

[big snip]

> >> You mean something like Linux, which calls all Ethernet adaptors just
> >> eth*?
> >
> >As aliases for the real names, yes.  That would meet your request for not
> >having to think about the driver name.  I'm not sure if it's a good idea
> >to do such a thing, or how difficult it would be.  And, being quite
> >content with names such as tlp0, I have no real interest in this.  (^&
>
> OTOH, ETH0 is a bit too general, I think. It puts us back at the point
> where you have to remember something quite arbitrary. Was the internal
> interface ETH0 or ETH2?

This is where you'd have to use that old-fashioned methodology called
'labeling'. Oh, and having it written down somewhere in a file or printed out
and plastered over a whiteboard so you can always look it up if you're not
sure is yet another possibility...

Although these old methods are a bit tedious (you'd have to 'write' with
something called a 'pen' or a 'pencil' on something that's called 'paper' or
a 'label'), they do work though. I bet ya these ways of documenting interface
names and their function is even older than ed(1) itself :)

Cheers,
Emiel
--
Playing an unamplified electric guitar is like strumming on a picnic
table.