Subject: Re: a nice-sounding box
To: None <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: None <ipthomas@mac.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 04/26/2002 20:05:43
On Friday, April 26, 2002, at 02:51 PM, Jason R Thorpe wrote:

> On Fri, Apr 26, 2002 at 11:47:25AM -0700, Jason R Thorpe wrote:
>
>> On Fri, Apr 26, 2002 at 02:35:54PM -0400, Steve Bellovin wrote:
>>
>>> http://www.tech-report.com/reviews/2002q2/shuttle-ss50/index.x?pg=1
>>>
>>> Has anyone tried it?  I'm curious if the graphics chip and the
>>> on-board
>>> Ethernet are supported by NetBSD.
>>
>> The graphics should be supported by XFree86 4.2.0 and the Ethernet
>> should work with the "sip" driver (SiS 900-compatible built in to
>> Northbridge -- lots of low-cost mainboards have this chipsets these
>> days).
>
> Correction -- I read a little further, and the web page claims a
> RealTek chip.  Presumably, an RTL8139, which would be supported by
> the "rtk" driver.

	Just some more info on Shuttle in general.  I've been using one of
their boards and the thing is solid.  It's an MV17.  It has an
integrated S3 chip that isn't supported by XFree, but, surprisingly
enough, Shuttle shipped Gnu/Linux drivers on the cdrom that came with
the motherboard that do support the chip.  The drivers, unfortunately,
are binary only.

Ian

Of Course It Runs NetBSD
www.netbsd.org