Subject: Re: stat(1)
To: Andrew Brown <atatat@atatdot.net>
From: Robert Elz <kre@munnari.OZ.AU>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 04/25/2002 16:36:12
    Date:        Wed, 24 Apr 2002 11:36:04 -0400
    From:        Andrew Brown <atatat@atatdot.net>

  | >There appears to have been a thread regarding the implementation of a
  | >userland stat(1) command a few months back on current-users, but without
  | >any conclusion.  Is anybody still working on this?  How much work is
  | >left?  Is it intended to be included?

I suspect the answer is more that there are so many different versions
and no particular reason to prefer one over the other without a particular
reason to need it.   These things tend to be created to serve some
particular purpose, for which they're great - but they're not always
ideal for someone else's particular purpose.

  | i suppose if
  | i (a) cleaned up the code a tiny bit and (b) wrote some documentation
  | (ie, a man page) it could get added.

The same might be true for any of the dozen versions that were discussed.

  | very useful, imho.

Yes, they can be, mine (which like most of these, also lacks doc...) is
truly inspired ... for me...

kre