Subject: Re: OT: USB digital camera
To: Chris Lloyd <strawberry@toth.org.uk>
From: John Clark <j1clark@ucsd.edu>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 04/24/2002 10:49:18
Am Mittwoch den, 24. April 2002, um 09:26, schrieb Chris Lloyd:

> Windows 98 is hardly just a 'program', and there's nothing wrong with
> using
> up
> 300MB of disk space, my NetBSD installation uses far far more than that.
> (Would you steal someone elses car just to go down the road because you
> can't
> be bothered to find wheels for yours?)
> (Wasn't a very good car analogy really, never mind...)

Well, if that car owner made sure no one would sell you
a car, other than buying from their dealership, or make it
so that you had to go to another state, buy a car, then
be told by the other state car dealership, well in order to
get a steering wheel, you really have to buy from the car
dealership in your town...

In a word, there is more to a monopoly than just having
only one product in town. The way MS has done things,
you can't get information easily if at all, other than reverse
engineering third party offerings, either in hardware or
software, to create 'competative' alternatives. For example,
the recent mail which someone was told due to 'macrovision'
concerns, the company does not provide detailed specs to...
answer class... individuals, or small companies with perhaps
better ideas...  but obviously software for Windows
is available...

I don't see this changing one bit by any Justice Dept. since
all those that have a seat close to the case, are themselves
large corporations which could take advantage of any settlement,
but in such a way that the cost to enter the arena is still
high enough that only those large companies will be able
to.