Subject: Re: Terse device names
To: None <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: None <ipthomas@mac.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 04/23/2002 20:57:13
On Tuesday, April 23, 2002, at 04:11 AM, Wojciech Puchar wrote:

>> I'd have to agree here. I like the BSD way of network device naming
>> too.
>> Take linux for example, linux uses eth* for everything, which can be
>> extremely annoying because you can't really see at a first glance which
>> device is which (if you have different brands of nics in your box). And
>> by the way, ever nic name in *BSD has a manual page. try man 5 <nic
>> name> without the device number. Detailed enough for ya?
>
> yes. and try to predict what will be eth0 and what eth6 if you have 7
> same cards put :)

	I have two cards and this threw me a bit.  I guess they get named
by order of detection in Redhat 7.2, so, from the top of the box to the
bottom.  Of course this might not always be the case.  I have two
identical NICS in my box ( Intel Etherexpress ) so sometimes it's trial
and error.

Ian

Of Course It Runs NetBSD
www.netbsd.org