Subject: Re: Terse device names
To: Curt Sampson <cjs@cynic.net>
From: Iggy Drougge <iggy@kristallpojken.org>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 04/22/2002 16:28:23
Curt Sampson skrev:

>On 21 Apr 2002, Iggy Drougge wrote:

>> What the sources look like internally is of no interest to the end user.

>To some end users. To others, the sources are quite interesting.
>One of the reasons I started using NetBSD was because the source
>was available to be read.

But then I wouldn't call you an end-user. I'd call you a hacker.

>> But hey, why couldn't NetBSD use an alias system, so that lamers like
>> me could type elink, whereas programmers and people who use ifconfig a
>> lot type ep?

>As someone else said in that very message you posted:

>    > Have you tried BASH or ZSH?

>elink="ep"
>ifconfig $elink ...

But that's going at it the other way around. It's adapting a cryptic pro
system to the beginner, and expecting him to do it himself, instead of letting
the pros who already have the required knowledge create their own
abbreviations.

--
En ligne avec Thor 2.6a.