Subject: Re: Terse device names
To: Iggy Drougge <iggy@kristallpojken.org>
From: Andrew Basterfield <list@lostgeneration.freeserve.co.uk>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 04/22/2002 00:16:15
On 21 Apr 2002 6:53:31 +0100
"Iggy Drougge" <iggy@kristallpojken.org> wrote:

> One reason is that they're unintuitive. The example with the Etherlink
> drivers someone posted is very illustrative. To me, it seems as though
> the programmer just took an E and added whatever letter which was still
> free to the end.
>
> >I see that le, for instance, is the same on NetBSD, SunOS, and Solaris.
>
> Not too odd, concerning they all have common roots.

Geez, is it really worth going to all the hassle of renaming devices?
There's a unix tradition of 'less keypresses is better', some of us
appreciate it. It doesn't take all that much intelligence to figure out
what hardware goes with which driver. Perhaps you's like to say thankyou
to Herb for writing a driver for your damn card rather than bitching about
what he chose to called it.

--Andrew

--
sparc sun4c stuff : http://www.lostgeneration.freeserve.co.uk/sparc
personal email    : bob at lostgeneration dot freeserve dot co dot uk