Subject: Re: Setting up pppoe
To: None <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: None <ipthomas@mac.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 04/11/2002 18:04:10
On Thursday, April 11, 2002, at 05:34 PM, Klaus Heinz wrote:

> ipthomas@mac.com wrote:
>
>> 4. Ran adsl-setup
>
> I don't remember this one.
>
>> I'm not sure of the format exactly.  I've already man pppoe.conf, it
>> doesn't show exact syntax.
>
> I copied /usr/pkg/share/examples/rp-pppoe/pppoe.conf to /etc/ppp/
> and changed what I needed:

	Darn.  I can't believe I didn't look here.

>   ETH=fxp0
>   USER="my username"
>   DEMAND=180

	Mine is as follows:

	USER="my username"
	ETH=fxp0
	USEPEERDNS=yes

> [DEMAND shuts down the connection afte 180 seconds without traffic]
> You should read the man page again with this example at hand.
>
> Depending on your ISP you probably need CHAP or PAP authentication.
> I use CHAP and created /etc/ppp/chap-secrets (don't forget
> 'chmod 600 chap-secrets'). The format is described in pppd(8).
>
>   # client       server  secret             ip-addresses
>   "my username"  *       "secret password"  *

	adsl-setup added my username and password here correctly.

> Maybe you have to use a specific name for the 'server' field, but that
> should be in your docs from the ISP.
>
> ciao
>      Klaus

	You didn't do anything special with the NIC did you?  I do
adsl-start and a process isn't spawned for the DSL.  This is evidenced
by adsl-status coming back and saying there is no pppoe.pid file in
/var/run.  I had this box doing NAT for my Mac using a dialup
connection, so I know the NIC is good.  Right now, ifconfig -a gives the
following

fxp0: flags = 8802<Broadcast, Simplex, Multicast> mtu 1500
address: My MAC address
media: Ethernet autoselect (none)

Ian