Subject: Re: Tiny NetBSD print server (?)
To: B. James Phillippe <bryan-spamtrap0@darkforest.org>
From: paul beard <paulbeard@mac.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 04/11/2002 13:11:04
B. James Phillippe wrote:

>>Something like this is cheaper to operate, runs quieter, cooler, and is
>>pretty much hasslefree.
>

> Hmmm... this looks a little too good to be true.  Anyone use this product
> and able to vouch for it?  I do not have (or want) any Windows machines on
> my home network, so if there is a "catch" of needing Windows to
> control/configure it, it's no good.  To keep this thread somewhat on-topic,
> if there are any folks that have used a device like this with NetBSD, do
> you still need a postscript-to-HP converter or similar?
I guess I don't why you need to spend $30 on something that CUPS
does for free: assuming you have a parallel port printer hooked
up, you can simply add the filtering to print postscript jobs on a
non-PS printer, as well as set up IPP printing. And yes, you get a
web interface ;-)
--
Paul Beard
8040 27th Ave NE