Subject: Re: Tiny NetBSD print server (?)
To: B. James Phillippe <bryan-spamtrap0@darkforest.org>
From: Andrew Gillham <gillham@vaultron.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 04/11/2002 12:33:43
On Thu, Apr 11, 2002 at 11:19:07AM -0700, B. James Phillippe wrote:

> My questions:
>
> 1.) is it relatively simple to install print filters under NetBSD such that
> my Linux and iMac boxes can print PostScript to a non-postscript printer?

If you use pkgsrc/print/magicfilter it should be painless.

> 2.) is a diskless Multia a poor choice for simple print server?  I don't
> need a high-speed server, but is an NFS-mounted one okay for a print
> server?

I think it would be a good idea to just have the Multia handle the raw
printer data and the main server to the processing via ghostscript, etc.
Last time I messed with a Multia parallel port it didn't work very well
with my printer, but YMMV.

> 3.) anything I'm forgetting in this Rube Goldberg idea?

http://www.us.buy.com/retail/product.asp?sku=10317855&hdwt=31106&loc=101

Something like this is cheaper to operate, runs quieter, cooler, and is
pretty much hasslefree.

-Andrew