Subject: Tiny NetBSD print server (?)
To: NetBSD Users <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: B. James Phillippe <bryan-spamtrap0@darkforest.org>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 04/11/2002 11:19:07
Hello,

I am considering an interesting solution to a challenging problem in my
home network.  I have several different types of systems (Linux laptop,
iMac, and NetBSD/alpha server doing everything) all networked via 10BT.  I
also have an older Epson ActionLaser 1000 (has HP emulation, and no
straight PostScript, IIRC) which is parallel-port only.

My problem is that I want to hook this printer up such that all network
systems can print to it, but I can't physically locate it close to the
main NetBSD/alpha server because that is in a wiring closet.

My idea: I have a spare, diskless DEC Multia, which I could set up right
next to the printer.  I could connect the printer to it, and configure it
to network boot from my main NetBSD/alpha server and work as a diskless
print server.

My questions:

1.) is it relatively simple to install print filters under NetBSD such that
my Linux and iMac boxes can print PostScript to a non-postscript printer?

2.) is a diskless Multia a poor choice for simple print server?  I don't
need a high-speed server, but is an NFS-mounted one okay for a print
server?

3.) anything I'm forgetting in this Rube Goldberg idea?

cheers,
-bp
--
# bryan_at_darkforest_dot_org