Subject: Re: Pthreads...
To: John Clark , Jason R Thorpe <thorpej@wasabisystems.com>
From: B. James Phillippe <bryan-spamtrap0@darkforest.org>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 04/10/2002 08:54:38
On the flaccid day of Apr 10, Jason R Thorpe penned:

> On Wed, Apr 10, 2002 at 07:50:33AM -0700, John Clark wrote:
>
>  > and how NetBSD pthreads differed from whatever other implementations
>  > are in use?
>
> The new NetBSD pthreads implementation (being developed on the nathanw_sa
> branch of the source tree) uses Solaris-style LWPs + Scheduler
> Activations (for more information on how they work, just google for
> "scheduler activations", and you'll get pointers to several papers on the
> topic).

This sounds very interesting.. is there an anticipated target release
date/version for this work?

>  > Anyway, I have some code which runs on a linux box, 2.2.16-smp to be
>  > more specific, however, does not run correctly on the NetBSD 1.5.2,
>  > using the PTL package (vers 2.0 or so).
> Well, both PTL and FreeBSD pthreads are all-userland implementations.
> This has certain drawbacks.  OTOH, LinuxThreads also has certain

To John: FWIW, I've had the best success with threads on NetBSD using GNU
pth (I'm using 1.4.0 from pkgsrc).  As another poster pointed out, you'll
want to compile with -D_POSIX_THREAD_SYSCALL_SOFT=1 to enable non-blocking
system call wrappers.  The pthreads application I'm working with compiles
and works (for the most part) the same under NetBSD+pth, Linux, Solaris8
and Darwin.

-bp
--
# bryan_at_darkforest_dot_org