Subject: Re: netbsd equivalent to linux's 'ls -lh'?
To: Julio Merino <slink@unixbsd.org>
From: Frederick Bruckman <fredb@immanent.net>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 04/10/2002 09:22:38
On Wed, 10 Apr 2002, Julio Merino wrote:

> I'm not a commiter, although I can't understand why patches like this are
> not beeing "imported" in the current tree. I've seen other "good" patches
> that make the system "better looking", but because some reason they are
> not beeing commited... :P

Time and interest. "ls" is stable since about forever, so there wouldn't
be anyone who specializes in working on it. I didn't notice any
objections appended to the PR, so I think it's just a question of time
before someone gets to it.

> For example, why colorls is in pkgsrc when it could be a part of the base
> system, like in FreeBSD?

Probably because it's hideous and distracting, and no one likes it. :-)

Seriously, you could bring up issues like that on tech-userlevel. I
don't know about "colorls", but the other things might respond to
patient lobbying. If it's really a great idea, others will clamour for
it, too; if there's only something to it, maybe somebody will do it a
different way; and if it's not such a great idea, it'll quietly fall on
the floor. Just look through the open PR's -- it would be so wrong to
implement every single suggestion. There have to be culls. If one of
your ideas doesn't seem to be taking off, just float another.

Frederick