Subject: RE: [open-source] Sun to start charging for Star Office
To: 'Jim Wise' <rauch@rice.edu>
From: Stephane St Hilaire <ssthilaire@hyperchip.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 04/09/2002 13:23:01

------_=_NextPart_001_01C1DFEB.337D68D0

Final note, I'll first admit that I wasn't even aware all the while that I
was in fact posting in HTML format (attach huge_laughs.wav file here). My
e-mail client was and still is configured for plain-text output and the
messages I have sent still appear as plain-text in my sent items folder.
However I can't deny the fact that they reached the mailing list in HTML and
for that I humbly apologize. All I can say is that while discussing the
inherent evilness of a software company that made money and the advantages
of having some formatting capabilities in text messages, I thought I was
still doing it in ASCII. I can understand that my position wasn't helped by
my sending HTML messages all along...

I'm hoping this doesn't end up as another HTML message. My format is still
set to plain text, however I've set thhe encoding to US-ASCII which might
have caused the previous lapses.

Sorry (perhaps I am an apologist after all)and by the way I'm all for the
one good idea Richard R managed to throw in

>Aside: How hard would it be to get the NetBSD mailing lists to identify
>messages with embedded HTML and bounce them with a gentle reminder to turn
>off the obnoxious ``feature''?

Sure it would be less fun for those who felt like venting some excess gas
but it still sounds like a good idea.

Steph

------_=_NextPart_001_01C1DFEB.337D68D0

<HTML>
<HEAD>
charset=3Dus-ascii">
5.5.2653.12">
<TITLE>RE: [open-source] Sun to start charging for Star Office</TITLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt; -----Original Message-----</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt; Stephane: This isn't an appropriate forum for =
being an MS apologist.</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt; </FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt; what _are_ you saying?&nbsp; I would certainly =
interpret this as saying</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt; ``agreeing with MS is not acceptable on this =
list'', and I think most</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt; readers would do the same...</FONT>
</P>
<BR>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>Final note, I'll first admit that I wasn't even aware =
all the while that I was in fact posting in HTML format (attach =
huge_laughs.wav file here). My e-mail client was and still is =
configured for plain-text output and the messages I have sent still =
appear as plain-text in my sent items folder. However I can't deny the =
fact that they reached the mailing list in HTML and for that I humbly =
apologize. All I can say is that while discussing the inherent evilness =
of a software company that made money and the advantages of having some =
formatting capabilities in text messages, I thought I was still doing =
it in ASCII. I can understand that my position wasn't helped by my =
sending HTML messages all along...</FONT></P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>I'm hoping this doesn't end up as another HTML =
message. My format is still set to plain text, however I've set thhe =
encoding to US-ASCII which might have caused the previous lapses. =
</FONT></P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>Sorry (perhaps I am an apologist after all)and by the =
way I'm all for the one good idea Richard R managed to throw in </FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt;Aside: How hard would it be to get the NetBSD =
mailing lists to identify</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt;messages with embedded HTML and bounce them with =
a gentle reminder to turn</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt;off the obnoxious ``feature''? </FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>Sure it would be less fun for those who felt like =
venting some excess gas but it still sounds like a good idea.</FONT>
</P>
<BR>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>Steph</FONT>
</P>