Subject: Re: ipv6 ftp.netbsd.org
To: Wolfgang Rupprecht <wolfgang+gnus20020407T123112@wsrcc.com>
From: Frederick Bruckman <fredb@immanent.net>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 04/07/2002 15:02:21
On 7 Apr 2002, Wolfgang Rupprecht wrote:

> Does ftp-ing to ftp.netbsd.org over ipv6 work for other folks?

Yes. I'm in Chicago, and connected to the 6bone courtesy of Viagene,
in Montreal, and for me, it hardly ever fails.

>     => Attempting to fetch pkg_install-20020218.tar.gz from ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/packages/distfiles/.
>     => [79023 bytes]
>     Trying 3ffe:8050:201:1860:2a0:c9ff:feed:b7ea...
>     Connected to ftp.netbsd.org.
>
>     421 Service not available, remote server timed out. Connection closed
>     ftp: Can't connect or login to host `ftp.netbsd.org'

Probably a transient network error.

> All I get is a long hang, followed by a hint that I need to ftp this
> by hand.
>
> (If IPV6 isn't meant to work on this machine can someone please take
> the AAAA record out of the DNS?)

You could try
``MASTER_SITE_BACKUP=ftp://ftp4.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/packages/distfiles/
make fetch'' to bypass ipv6. Even better, would be to find a mirror
that works most of the time, and put it in "/etc/mk.conf". (You can
have multiple sites in MASTER_SITE_BACKUP if your closest mirror is
not updated frequently enough.)

Frederick