Subject: Re: X11 packages outside /usr/X11R6
To: NetBSD Users list <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: Alistair Crooks <agc@wasabisystems.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 04/06/2002 20:53:08
On Sat, Apr 06, 2002 at 07:53:06PM +0200, Julio Merino wrote:
> On Sat, Apr 06, 2002 at 05:34:35PM +0200, Alistair Crooks wrote:
> > On Sat, Apr 06, 2002 at 02:12:34PM +0200, Julio Merino wrote:
> > > Hi all
> > >
> > > I would like to take out all my X11 packages from /usr/X11R6. They
> > > would be better if they were in something like /usr/X11R6.pkg or
> > > even in /usr/pkg.
> > >
> > > Would I do this? I've seen something in Packages.txt about installing
> > > those packages in /usr/pkg... but what about /usr/X11R6.pkg?
> >
> > The xpkgwedge package will place all the packages which would
> > normally go into /usr/X11R6 into /usr/pkg. (In fact, it  places
> > packages which would normally go into X11BASE into LOCALBASE).
>
> Well, but is this package "trustable"? I mean... won't it bring me
> trouble, specially when compiling programs by hand (not with pkgsrc)?

Personally, I find xpkgwedge to be completely "trustable", but I
tend to use pkgsrc fairly heavily. I've been using xpkgwedge for
over a year now, and, over time, we have found and fixed packages
which were problematic (by that I mean insisting on installing
under ${X11BASE}, and I would like to see xpkgwedge become the
default in pkgsrc.

Regards,
Alistair