Subject: Re: 1.5.3_RC1 silent, hard lockup on OOM?
To: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
From: B. James Phillippe <bryan-spamtrap0@darkforest.org>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 04/05/2002 17:37:20
On the bionic day of Apr 5, der Mouse mused:

> > But what concerns me is why an OOM condition would kill the system.
>
> At $DAYJOB, I've just been chasing bugs that manifest as hangs (and
> pretty hard hangs, at that, though probably not as hard as yours) when
> the system is run completely out of swap.
>
> Could your swap space have been completely filled?

Yes, I certainly suppose so.. it ran for long enough.  Is there some kind
of sysctl or something I can tweak to "reserve" a certain amount of
system/root-only memory, at which if a process tries to allocate into, it
will be killed?

-bp
--
# bryan_at_darkforest_dot_org