Subject: Windows API support in Linux (i.e. NetBSD via emul)
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org, netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: Gerald C. Simmons <simmons@darykon.cet.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 04/05/2002 07:05:48
I'm just curious. Does anyone know of any S/W companies that make a package
for porting your Windows Application to Linux, and I don't think I'm talking
about CodeWeavers or Wine. (But I could be wrong!)

I'm currently beta testing an engineering tool, that has traditionally been a
windows app, under Linux. The interesting thing is that when the app comes up.
it looks just like a Windws App. All the window widgets and menus are the same.

When you look at the executable directory, it's obvious the application has
been re-built for a new OS (i.e. Linux); no *.exe's or *.dll's. However, lots
of .so's and file extensions I don't recognize.

Examination of how the program interacts with a Linux Environment leads me to
believe that they've created a virtual Windows environment. To be more
specific, my user directory has a "windows" directory with the following
directories contained within: Application Data, Common Desktop, Desktop,
Recent, system, and contains a win.ini and other *.ini files.

I haven't played with Wine at all, but does this look like a Wine
implementation?

Gerry Simmons
simmons@darykon.cet.com