Subject: some data for this interminable anti-MS thread
To: None <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: paul beard <paulbeard@mac.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 04/04/2002 21:03:20
Much as I hate to perpetuate these tedious threads, this popped on
one of my automated job searches: it seems they want some help on
unix->WIN2K migrations.

As long as it has taken to migrate HotMail to Windows (last I
heard the backend was still FreeBSD), I can't imagine this would
be a fun gig.

 > Want to help Microsoft win enterprise computing mindshare? You
 > will be part of a dynamic and highly visible team that will play
 > a very important part of the Microsoft platform effort. You
 > will have an unprecedented opportunity to influence the future
 > direction of key Microsoft products, based on your in-depth
 > customer learning.

I can't say I do want to do this: as long as Windows is tied to a
Windows desktop/UI (geez, even Apple has a command-line server
product), it will be a pain to manage, just as it always has been.
Rather than telnet or ssh as your first communication, you need
your car 'cause you're going to need to drive to the data center
sooner or later. Been there, done that.

 > RESPONSIBILITIES:
 >
 > Understand customer requirements for migrating custom in-house
 > UNIX or Linux applications to Windows by working closely with
 > Microsoft?s field consulting team. Unblock customers by
 > troubleshooting any product and technology issues faced during
 > the migration, determine workarounds whenever needed by working
 > closely with the relevant product teams within Microsoft. Roll
 > up customer input from these migration efforts to drive
 > recommendations for future Microsoft product enhancements ?
 > e.g. to Windows, Visual Studio, Services for UNIX (SFU),
 > Microsoft?s .NET server products, and even 3rd party products.
 > Work with Microsoft marketing and field consulting teams on
 > migration whitepapers, technical documentation and best
 > practices, and deliver the same at customer presentations,
 > seminars and industry events.

This is pretty clearly more of the same "embrace, extend,
extinguish" method we've seen for years. Rather than compete on
performance or innovation, it's all about chrome and cup-holders.
By "drive recommendations for future Microsoft product
enhancements" I read "get 'em locked into proprietary features."

--
Paul Beard
8040 27th Ave NE

"Death is nature's way of saying `Howdy'".