Subject: Re: 720k floppies no longer supported ?
To: None <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: Thomas Mueller <tmueller@bluegrass.net>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 04/03/2002 07:50:36
from Klaus Heinz <klaus.heinz@onlinehome.de>:

> today I tried to use some 720k DD floppies with NetBSD 1.5.2 on i386
> and to my surprise I could not fdformat _any_ of them (/dev/fd0f)
> without getting track format errors.

> Even formatting them with a different OS and simply using them did not
> work:
>   /netbsd: fd0: timeout (st0 2 cyl 4)
>   /netbsd: fd0f: soft error (corrected) writing fsbn 984 of 984-985
>   /netbsd: fdcresult: overrun

> Can anyone confirm this problem with 720K floppies ? I could not find
> an existing problem report about it.

> ciao
>      Klaus

Did you remember to include a parameter in fdformat command line to indicate
that the diskette was 720K?  I tried to format two 720K diskettes with
DR-DOS 7.03 and couldn't make it work until I remembered to add /f:720 to the
command line.  Then it worked.  Maybe you need to do something comparable with
NetBSD?

I have some 720K diskettes I could try to access in NetBSD, DOS-formatted with
old data but am not in NetBSD now.  So I will be curious to try and report back
on how it worked or didn't work, but it won't be immediate.