Subject: Re: WM core
To: Jeremy C. Reed <reed@reedmedia.net>
From: Juergen Tritthardt <juergent@mpimf-heidelberg.mpg.de>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 03/28/2002 21:22:24
Wow, VERY fast responce,

On Thu, 28 Mar 2002, Jeremy C. Reed wrote:

> On Thu, 28 Mar 2002, Juergen Tritthardt wrote:
>=20
> > The gzip core dump is still 150k big so I didn't attach it. I will
> > send it to anyone who's interested to help me.
>=20
> Is your WindowMaker built with debugging symbols? I guess if using a
> package it is stripped unless you have DEBUG_FLAGS defined.

you're right, 'file /usr/X11R6/bin/wmaker' gives me:
/usr/X11R6/bin/wmaker: ELF 32-bit LSB executable, Intel 80386, version 1,
dynamically linked (uses shared libs), stripped

> Anyways, to look at a core dump, use gdb like:
>=20
>  gdb program core
>=20
> Then type "bt" to show a few details.

Here is the output:

=2E..
Core was generated by `wmaker'.
Program terminated with signal 6, Abort trap.
=2E..
(gdb) bt
#0  0x482d4f97 in kill ()
#1  0x482d4171 in abort ()
#2  0x48297d9e in __assert ()
#3  0x8094773 in dladdr ()
#4  0x807c01d in dladdr ()
#5  0x807ed4e in dladdr ()
#6  0x806c830 in dladdr ()
#7  0x804d2d5 in XMapRaised ()

I can rebuild it from source if necessary. What flags are recommended?

=09Regards
        J=FCrgen
--=20
J=FCrgen Tritthardt              Max-Planck-Institut f=FCr med. Forschung
Tel. 06221/486279                          Abt. Biomedizinische Optik
Fax. 06221/486225                       Jahnstr. 29, 69120 Heidelberg