Subject: Re: identd with NAT and IPv6 support.
To: current-users@netbsd.org, , <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: Curt Sampson <cjs@cynic.net>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 03/28/2002 10:49:46
I agree that an ident token contains no useful information for the
person recieving it. That does not mean it has no useful applications,
does it?

How about being able to get information about your own system back
from remote admins?  If someone says, "Someone tried to do something
nasty, and the connection came from your machine on this port at
this time," it's much nicer for me if they also hand back my
encrypted ident token. That way I can decrypt it and find out just
who was doing the nasty, without having to log that information
myself.

On the other hand, we have so many fewer multi-user machines these
days, I'll admit that this is not so heavily needed.

cjs