Subject: Re: identd with NAT and IPv6 support.
To: None <netbsd-users@netbsd.org, current-users@netbsd.org, tech-net@netbsd.org>
From: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 03/27/2002 23:46:11
>> Ident must die.
> Right.  It serves no useful purpose.  At all.

I don't know what you're on, but I know someone who would like to know
where to get some.

More seriously, I can certainly say that I as a sysadmin would never
consider running a multiuser system connected to the net without an
identd.  Nor would I waste any time dealing with an abuse complaint
alleging abuse involving outoging TCP connections which didn't include
the token returned by my identd (eg, if the complainant didn't bother
to make the query).

I'm repeatedly and depressingly surprised by how few people seem to
actually understand what identd is useful for, and to whom.

/~\ The ASCII				der Mouse
\ / Ribbon Campaign