Subject: Re: OT: Screen escape character
To: Nate Johnston <nmj3e@alumni.virginia.edu>
From: Rob Windsor <windsor@warthog.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 03/27/2002 11:50:06
On Wed, 27 Mar 2002 12:40:37 EST, verily did Nate Johnston write:

>>> I`m very tired of using C-a in screen to enter it`s functions,
>>> mainly because I heavily use C-a to go to the beginning of the
>>> line. Which key do you use?

>> C-w

> I'd reccomend against the use of C-w or C-u because they are the
> standard keys for delete-word and delete-line, respectively.  If you're
> looking for keys with good proximity to A, C-s and C-q are the standard
> flow-control keys, C-c and C-z are break and suspend, etc.

> Personally, since I have to log in to a large number of machines, I do
> this on my desktop:

> set escape ==

> and this on the remote machines (so I can nest screens):

> set escape ++

I never use C-w in a shell window, which is why I picked it.  If you
didn't even know what C-w did in a shell, it's probably safe to use it for
your screen key.

Rob++
Internet: windsor@warthog.com                             __o
Life: Rob@Carrollton.Texas.USA.Earth                    _`\<,_
                                                       (_)/ (_)
The weather is here, wish you were beautiful.