Subject: RE: [open-source] Sun to start charging for Star Office
To: None <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: Robert Amble <robert_amble@earthlink.net>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 03/23/2002 21:45:00
Stephane St Hilaire <ssthilaire@hyperchip.com>  said:

> He's doing it for the Mac OS and it's not his OS.
> I'm assuming that when one of the open unixes makes a real breaktrough
> marketwise, he'll jump right in and provide the best Unix apps that anyone
> will have ever used. Perhaps then the Ms bashing will tone down just a
> little once Ms Office is available everywhere.

I feel that Office V.X is motivated more by:
1) MS has equity in Apple
2) the Macintosh is the ONLY system with a large enough
installed base (that can be tracked, unlike most free *nix) that it can be used as point in a monopoly defense.

Because 1) and 2) will never be valid for any free OS, I do not think we will ever see Office on those platforms.

Regards,
rca

--

Ad Inexplorate