Subject: Re: OT: question on disk drive repair/recovery
To: paul beard <paulbeard@mac.com>
From: John Clark <j1clark@ucsd.edu>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 03/22/2002 16:09:32
Am Freitag den, 22. M=E4rz 2002, um 15:09, schrieb paul beard:

> I have a disk drive that I stupidly wrecked by powercycling the box it=20=

> was in: now all I get in a rhythmic "thud THUD" every couple of =
seconds=20
> when I put power to it. I know it can't be used, but can anyone offer=20=

> me any hope that I could get any data off the platters at a recovery=20=

> shop? Or are the platters likely to be damaged?

When I have had this happen it is pretty much a dead device. There are=20=

services
which can recover 'really important' data for really big $$$. However,=20=

one 'cheap'
trick is to get an identical model, replace the circuit board of the=20
dead drive
with that of the 'working',  and see if the drive motors, read/write=20
head assembly,
etc are intact. It is important to match the circuit boards as they=20
change even
though the drive 'model' number stays the same...

Otherwise, it's pretty much take the sledge hammer to the drive as the=20=

only
emotional benefit...