Subject: Re: [open-source] Sun to start charging for Star Office
To: netbsd-users <>
From: paul beard <>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 03/22/2002 14:10:36
Charles Shannon Hendrix wrote:

> Microsoft could do this trivially.
> They butcher rtf from what I've seen.

true enough: ever looked at HTML as excreted by Word? You don't  .
. . .

>>What are we really after here? If MSFT were broken up into Apps
>>and OSes, two separate entities, and MSApps released Office or the
>>component apps for *nix, would you buy it? Or is this all about
>>not using any MSFT products no matter how much sense it might
>>make? And understand, I'm aware of the predatory actions and all
>>the rest: I think the state of the art has been set back 5-10
>>years as a result of it all. But if you could just use the apps
>>and they were reliable and reasonably priced, would you use them?
>                 ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> Well, now isn't that the problem after all?

well, no, not entirely. You can't get any MSFT office apps for
*nix at any price, reliable or no. If I were asked by the world's
richest man -- since he only lives a few miles from me, perhaps
I'll be in line with him at Starbucks -- what he could do for me,
I'd want those apps to be available for all desktop OSes,
regardless of whose OS it is.

> I think I would also add "not bloated" and "not license encumbered"
> to the mix, and probably "not scheduled obsolescence" to boot.

Agreed: so far my old office 98 docs are readable by newer
versions, but for how long?

> If they would start playing the game fair, would stop trying to lock
> me in, and stop making everything I do obsolete ever two years, I
> might use their stuff.

Paul Beard
8040 27th Ave NE
Seattle WA 98115
206 529 8400

Be free and open and breezy!  Enjoy!  Things won't get any better so
get used to it.