Subject: Re: [open-source] Sun to start charging for Star Office
To: netbsd-users <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: paul beard <paulbeard@mac.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 03/22/2002 14:10:36
Charles Shannon Hendrix wrote:

> Microsoft could do this trivially.
>
> They butcher rtf from what I've seen.

true enough: ever looked at HTML as excreted by Word? You don't  .
. . .

>>What are we really after here? If MSFT were broken up into Apps
>>and OSes, two separate entities, and MSApps released Office or the
>>component apps for *nix, would you buy it? Or is this all about
>>not using any MSFT products no matter how much sense it might
>>make? And understand, I'm aware of the predatory actions and all
>>the rest: I think the state of the art has been set back 5-10
>>years as a result of it all. But if you could just use the apps
>>and they were reliable and reasonably priced, would you use them?
>>
>                 ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>
> Well, now isn't that the problem after all?

well, no, not entirely. You can't get any MSFT office apps for
*nix at any price, reliable or no. If I were asked by the world's
richest man -- since he only lives a few miles from me, perhaps
I'll be in line with him at Starbucks -- what he could do for me,
I'd want those apps to be available for all desktop OSes,
regardless of whose OS it is.

> I think I would also add "not bloated" and "not license encumbered"
> to the mix, and probably "not scheduled obsolescence" to boot.

Agreed: so far my old office 98 docs are readable by newer
versions, but for how long?

--
Paul Beard
8040 27th Ave NE

Be free and open and breezy!  Enjoy!  Things won't get any better so
get used to it.