Subject: Re: [open-source] Sun to start charging for Star Office
To: None <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: Charles Shannon Hendrix <shannon@widomaker.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 03/22/2002 15:29:34
> What I liked was a common, standardized configuration file for
> *all* window managers/desktops.

There is a lot of merit to this idea.

Let everyone use what they want, but let's share the configuration
files.

I waste a lot of time on things like menus, sometimes because I
have to use something lightweight on another machine, or maybe
it's not mine and I have to work with whatever is there.

Redoing menus and other things all the time is a mess.

I don't think it would be all that hard to have a database of applications
and configuration items, text not binary, for UNIX.

Half the time, just a simple delimited file would be plenty, something
that your Window managers could read, all of them, instead of having
dozens of conflicting configurations.

Some Window managers and desktops are starting to try and do some
X configuration that is relatively cross-(hmmm... what goes here?)
but they are still heavily proprietary.

--
UNIX/Perl/C/Pizza__________________________________shannon@widomaker.com