Subject: Re: [open-source] Sun to start charging for Star Office
To: netbsd-users <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: paul beard <paulbeard@mac.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 03/22/2002 11:55:45
Thomas Michael Wanka wrote:
 > Hi,
 >
 > On 22 Mar 2002 at 16:33, David Friggens wrote:
 >
 >> Cf. the browsers wars - no-one (in the bulk of the end-user
 >> population) cared which browser was faster or more
 >> efficient, just which could boast the greater number of
 >> `features'
 >>

 > to my experience the users usually use the browser they started
 > to use. The people I installed NS for still use it, and the
 > ones that had IE on their system do still use it. They do not
 > really care about features or even know about them.

which is why bundling is crucial  . . . the switching cost
(download time and installation issues) is still a factor even on
a free (ie, zero cost) product like the browser.

In my dream world, PCs have nothing pre-installed and you add all
the stuff when you take it home. If it's hard to install or if
components don't play well with others, let the market take its
course.

Interesting to see PC manufacturers coming out to say how much
MSFT bullied them into exclusive arrangements, but they never said
a word prior to the DoJ case . . . .

--
Paul Beard
8040 27th Ave NE

In 1914, the first crossword puzzle was printed in a newspaper.  The
creator received $4000 down ... and $3000 across.