Subject: Re: [open-source] Sun to start charging for Star Office
To: Wojciech Puchar <wojtek@chylonia.3miasto.net>
From: David Friggens <david.friggens@vuw.ac.nz>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 03/22/2002 18:12:27
On Fri, 22 Mar 2002 17:53, you wrote:
> > > or use VMWARE. anyway if you MUST work with .doc, you must buy/use
> > > windows. it's clear for me.
> >
> > You could try and persuade everyone you interact with to save to RTF by
> > default. Even change the settings yourself if you can - they'd never
> > know. ;-)
>
> is rtf anyway more usable than doc for us. only for reading.

Surely there are several wps that write to RTF. KWord (from KOffice does).
(Well I've just had a look and it says it does - I don't know how good it is.)

> > BTW Even if you have to use Windows you can pay significantly less (or
> > nothing, for the shareware) for Rising Sun's Atlantis (www.rssol.com),
> > which reads M$-Word (including 2000) and saves to RTF.
>
> for free???

Yeah the shareware's free. You need to pay to get the spell-checker and
possibly some other features. Registration is only $27 (I assume that's US$)
which pales in comparison to M$'s $hundreds.
It has a suprising amount of features and handy utilities. It has better
support for some things than M$ Word.

As a bonus, it's only about 2.5MB. The winword.exe alone is over 5MB.

On their website they say that whilst not currently supported they aren't
ruling out porting to Linux, FreeBSD etc...

David