Subject: Re: [open-source] Sun to start charging for Star Office
To: NetBSD User's Discussion List <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: Jan Schaumann <jschauma@netbsd.org>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 03/21/2002 22:40:03
Charles Shannon Hendrix <shannon@widomaker.com> wrote:

> If they (Microsoft) would at least follow their own standard (some Word
> versions won't load one another's files, or even their own sometimes)
> it would at least be easier.

But then people would not see the need to upgrade to the latest version
of Word -- since the latest is almost invariably incompatible with other
versions, everybody has to shell out another $largeAmount bucks for an
"upgrade".  I very much understand how it is in the interest of MS to do
this -- but only a monopolist can do things like this.

> Then again, making people focus on the data and words instead of how
> they are formatted would go a long way toward easier document exchange,
> and would also allow them to get a lot more work done.

Enter LaTeX.

-Jan

--
finger jschauma@netmeister.org